Thursday, June 21, 2012

'Soldier Field 1977' - June 19th 1977 - Soldier Field, Chicago, IL, USA


Sound Quality: B
Performance: A
Overall: 3

The way I do these reviews is make notes as I listen thru then I add this section at the top, the final scores above and the summary at the end. Today I found myself complaining way too much in the track breakdown and when this happens I normally add it here. So let’s just agree a new capital offence should be put on the books for talking during songs at a Pink Floyd concert with no statute of limitations and we will be good. There is a fucking idiot who talks both between songs, which is annoying but can be tolerated, but also during songs, sometimes not even the quiet parts! The crowd is pretty bad even apart from this guy, lots of shouting and high pitched whistling.

The performance was really good, the highlight for me was the second half of 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' that featured a really good, long guitar solo which was just sublime. I gave the show an 'A' overall for the performance, quite a bit of improvisation, solid versions of a lot of tracks and great versions of other. It is just a shame the crowd ruins the show.

Track Breakdown...

Sheep: The sound in general is pretty good but there is a lot of crowd noise as well as seemingly ambient in the stadium, which I would think is understandable given the openness of the venue. The performance is pretty good though, lots of energy. And the vocals are clear and the overall sound is pretty crisp.

Pig On The Wing (part 1): The delicate nature of this song highlights the ambient noise issue, I am not sure if it is a recording issue or actually occurred, it sounds like wind, which is possible, open stadium in the windy city after all.

Dogs: Good version, great guitar work from Dave on this one, liked it a lot.

Pigs On The Wing (part 2): There is a guy near the recorder who is annoying loud talking, this is a shame because the guitar solo seems to be a bit of a break away from the norm, not by much but though and it is spoilt by this idiot.

Pigs (Three Different Ones): The vocals from Roger are less clear than Dave's, not vastly but noticeable. Rip-roaring rendition which would have a been a joy to behold if not for the crowd noise.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (parts 1-5): The guitar sound here is more raw the normal clean precise tones. Now that could be in part to the recording but whatever the reason it is good. 

Welcome To The Machine: The vocals are little on the low side, volume-wise.

Have A Cigar: Nice work from Dave again, he was having a good night for sure, really good funky vibe

Wish You Were Here: Nice intro guitar work is different from usual, using an electric guitar instead of acoustic. I have heard this before on this show but it is still nice, it continues for the parts between the lyrics.

Shine On You Crazy Diamond (parts 6-9): Really nice, log guitar solo on this track and minimal crowd noise which is refreshing.

Money: You got some double duty guitars on this rendition which doesn't work too well in my opinion, I have never heard this before, I think it is missing the sax so they improvised, they need some more practice.

If you can handle crowd noise and talking then this will be a good one to grab, if it annoys the hell out of you, skip it.

1 comment:

  1. I was there, with 95,000 of my best friends.
    THe sound quality was, especially for an outdoor area such as this, ASTONISHING. I saw the Dead @ McGaw Hall 11-1-73 with the Giant home stereo by the Bear, the Pink Floyd system was its' equal, AND OUTDOORS!...same concept, a wall of speakers for each instrument. FIRST RATE in every way AS WERE THE PERFORMANCES. I don't know what i expected, but this show was FAR,FAR better than I thought it would be...listen for the crowd reation to Gilmores' first notes of the riff "Shine on you crazy diamond"...I stand by my statement "One of their BEST performances'I am honored to have witnessed it.

    ReplyDelete