Monday, February 27, 2012

Me and the Floyd

I wanted to take a minute to talk about how I came to know and love the music of Pink Floyd. My brother had a friend who was an obnoxious SOB but he mad just one redeeming feature - he leant me a tape of 'The Wall', it threw me. I had been listening to crap like A-Ha (I hang my head in shame, but I was 11!) and this was it, I found one of the best albums ever made and that led me to find more. I don't remember a lot from my childhood but these events I recall.

At that time I was about 11 (around 1985) and I used to walk a mile to and from school and this was my time to throw on my walkman and crank up the Floyd. Wish You Were Here was always my favorite but I ended up buying all (or close to it) their albums on tape, sadly back then I was dumb and worshipped my walkman not vinyl! (Later on I would donate these tapes to my father in law to spread the word, a lot of them wore out from constant playing.)

I grew up too late to see the Floyd in their prime, I got to see them just once in 1994 Earl's Court and they took my breath away it was the best concert, hands down, that I have ever seen. I saw quite a few back then, Metallica, Def Leppard as well great guitarists like Joe Satriani, Steve Vai and Michael Schenker, front row for some of them but nothing came close to the spectacle of Floyd.

If I had a time machine, there are not very many historical events I give a damn about, maybe the Moon Landings, Man's greatest EVER achievement. I would go to as many Pink Floyd shows as I could! It's hard to say how much appreciation I have for the music those guys put out. Such great stuff, a few misses along the way, but a great catalog of simply stunning work.

Best band, musical artists, in the world, ever. End of story. Better than the Rolling Stones and the Beatles, most of their albums are formulaic to say the least and better than Led Zeppelin who like to over complicate things.

I turned off comments on this post, you wont change my mind so I will just take it for granted you agree. ;-)

Thanks guys!