Sunday, February 26, 2012

My thoughts on the versions of the band

You will see in my reviews that, although I will review bootlegs from the Syd Barrett era, it is not a time in Floyd's history I cherish. If this had been floyd, I would not have been a fan. I am not keen on the music of the 60's, fairy tales and flower power, sorry I am just not. This being said this is not really who the band was, just what was represented by the albums they had to put out. Tracks like 'Astronomy Domine' and 'Intersteller Overdrive' were the beginnings of the Floyd I loved and I believe were the real soul of the band back then.

However, The Gilmour led Floyd of the late 80's and 90's - I like, he does an admirable job but never captures the magic. But Division Bell is a great album in general and MLOR has some great guitar work in tracks like 'Sorrow' and 'On The Turning Away'.

Some last points on the albums in the later, Waters dominated period.
  • Animals: was a good album, out of balance but still great.
  • The Wall: Outstanding
  • The Final Cut: see below. 
The Final Cut, well it is another breaking point for Floyd fans, I liked it but then it suits my mood sometimes. I am not sure whether Roger wanted to do this album, the rest of the band said it was left over tracks from The Wall, maybe he had nothing more to give at the time and the record company wanted something. Maybe he felt he hadn't gotten it all out of his system, the death of his father was such a defining force is his life. Either way, you get the sense that this album oozed out of him and is brilliantly crafted from start to finish but it sure is depressing. How very English! (I can say that, I was born there.)

Other comments that will tell you were I stand as a Floyd fan...
  • I like Wish You Were Here better than Dark Side Of The Moon! 
  • I dislike the whale calls in middle of Echoes!
  • Comfortably Numb is the best song EVER by anyone!
  • The original version of Live at Pompeii was better than the redux, thankfully they included it but not with better quality! :-(
Thats it folks, hopefully I haven't alienated you all and you enjoy my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment