Sunday, February 26, 2012

Welcome!

I have an extensive collection of Pink Floyd bootlegs, (I define bootlegs in the traditional form of recordings not officially released by the artist, they are mainly live performances but could be outtakes, demos etc. Not to be confused with counterfeit or piracy.) over 150 so far and I am starting to get around to going thru each one looking for ones that are listenable for my iPod because I got a new office at work recently and this has inspired this hunt. I am going to try to get a few done a week and I will post each review here as they happen.

My reviews will have two sets of ratings which I will then combine into one judgement that will be based on whether it stays on my iTunes, put onto stand by or if it gets relegated to storage media. I will use the grading system everyone will be familiar with A thru D, with + and - allowed. There will also be F for hideous and totally avoidable, these bootlegs should only be valued by completists. There will be a grade for sound quality and then a grade for the performance as well as the final judgement call so anyone reading the review should know if they want to track this down.

Note about bootlegs: It is not illegal to own a bootleg but it is illegal to sell them or to make them. I do not condone these activities and I do not encourage you to do take part in these actions. I am a huge Floyd fan and have purchased nearly everything officially put out by the band (more than once for most - tapes to CDs, VHS to DVD) if you like the music of Pink Floyd buy it!

I also want to point out that some of the boots I have are done by different recorders in the audience so they might cover the same material and also identifying bootlegs can be tricky so if you should spot a mistake, please let me know. Pretty soon I will post a current list for you all then I will start asking for your recommendations.

Here are a couple of really useful links - 
http://www.pf-roio.de/  This is an excellent database for ROIO (Bootlegs)
http://www.pf-db.com/ This is a great resource for Floyd concerts

Hope you like the layout of the site, I thought I would give you all something nice to look at, hence the background. If some has a copyright issue with me using it and owns the rights (I see it is already all over the net) then please, let me know and I can take it down. 

Well enjoy.

Thanks for visiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment