Saturday, May 12, 2012

'Here Behind My Wall' - 5ht August 1980 - Earl's Court, London, England


Sound Quality: A
Performance: A-
Overall: 5/5

Really great show, the best audience recording I have heard so far, it is amazing, the wall coming crashing down at the end is really nicely done, the drums are clean and crisp really well illustrated in 'What Shall We Do Now?'. There are a couple of small recording issues which I mention in the track breakdown but it was a close call to an 'A+' but seeing as how I don't give double pluses, that is reserved for perfect.

The band is on great form, there is not a whole heck of a lot of improvisation, I have heard more at some other shows, but a fair amount and nicely done. 'Another Brick In The Wall (part 2)' is the best example and the highlight for me in this great show.

Track breakdown...

In The Flesh: There is a really bad drop out to start after the intro when the song
begins, it appears from a different source.

Mother: Vocals are really low volume to begin with but gets better as the song
progresses. This also occurs later on, and judging by the quality of rest of the
recording, my guess is this was the concert, not the recording.

Young Lust: Loved it, really ruckus.

Comfortably Numb: Volume low for the verses, but that seems to be Roger’s microphone, Dave's vocals are perfect volume. Damn that solo is too short, amazing, lots of pop, but it is only the 7-8 minute version played on the tour verse the 9-11 played on the Roger-less tours to follow.

MC: I stand corrected, in a previous review I wondered if anyone found this funny, well some folks laughed. Damn it! LOL

Run Like Hell: I love Roger's sense of humor, talking about this track as one for the disco fans because is has that kind of beat. Nice drumming from Nick again here, the effect on the slide guitar was either too much for the PA or the recording but not a big deal. Rick throws in a little extra keyboards here and there and if I had to be critical I would say a spot or two where it shouldn't have been.

Waiting For The Worms: The transition here is not great, there appears to be a small cut but not of any music so not a problem. Again the vocals are little low on volume but that seems to be the show itself.

The Trial: The recorder had to be close up to the stage, the tearing down of the wall is thunderous but really well handled by the recording.

Grab this with both hands and you will not be disappointed, really, really great recording of a really good show. could I cram the work 'really' in any more. No? Really? Ha, ok I am done.


----------------------
Original info

Pink Floyd

"Here Behind My Wall"

PinkRoioShn-CDR-012 (PRS-CDR-012)

date/venue: 1980.08.05 Earl's Court, London, England

source/lineage: Recorder 1 / cass[M] > DAT(4) > cdr(2) > EAC > wav > cd wav (tracking) 
                > TLH > flac


Disc 1:

D1T01. Gary Yudman [1:13]
D1T02. In The Flesh? [2:17]
D1T03. The Thin Ice [2:57]
D1T04. Another Brick In The Wall (Part I) [4:57]
D1T05. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives [1:19]
D1T06. Another Brick In The Wall (Part II) [6:21]
D1T07. Mother [7:36]
D1T08. Goodbye Blue Sky [3:49]
D1T09. What Shall We Do Now? [3:59]
D1T10. Young Lust [5:27]
D1T11. One Of My Turns [3:37]II[4:05]
D1T13. Another Brick In The Wall (Part III) [4:46]
D1T14. Goodbye Cruel World [1:42]

Disc 2:

D2T01. Hey You [4:33]
D2T02. Is There Anybody Out There? [2:48]
D2T03. Nobody Home [3:47]
D2T04. Vera [1:16]
D2T05. Bring The Boys Back Home [1:24]
D2T06. Comfortably Numb [7:43]
D2T07. The Show Must Go On [2:34]
D2T08. Gary Yudman [3:06]
D2T09. In The Flesh [4:54]
D2T10. Run Like Hell [6:41]
D2T11. Waiting For The Worms [4:22]
D2T12. Stop! [0:32]
D2T13. The Trial [6:24]
D2T14. Outside The Wall [2:28]

total length: 106:37


notes:
This is the second night of a six show stint at Earl's Court.  This comes from the master 
tapes and sounds great to my ears... nice, clear, and crispy.  There have been some small 
fades applied in a couple places that must have happened somewhere down the lineage, not by 
myself.  I tend to think this happened somewhere in the DAT gens but this is only a guess.  I 
I have done nothing to this source at all but tracked it in cd wav, it came to me on audio 
cdr's with each set untracked, so this was necessary.  

From what I can gather this particular recorder has not been spread commonly, only amongst
traders.  There should be another recorder around under the Wall Weeds label (WWRM), that 
one sounds quite nice as well but has no lineage.  I think this is an upgrade in sound to 
that version but if your a completist freak like myself you need both!  

Please notice that I have this listed as Recorder 1 in the source/lineage, this is because 
this was the first RoIO I received for this date.  You may have the WWRM or another version 
listed as Recorder 1, in that case make this Recorder 2.

I believe there might be some versions of this master floating about that contain a high 
pitched whine from 31:09 till 32:47 in the first set during What shall we do now?, but this 
does not.  Originally I got this in flac with the high pitched whine but it seemd to be a 
flaw somewhere in the compression or something.  After a second try receiving audio cdr's in 
place of flac data, the audio was revealed to be perfect... whew!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment