Friday, March 2, 2012

17th October, 1994 - Earl's Court, London, England

Sound Quality: A-
Performance: A+
Overall: 4/5 Maybe, just maybe (see post)

I am going to try to be as subjective as possible but I warn you, this was the only Floyd show I saw, this night, this venue, I was left breathless. I was in my seat early, I had a great seat, there is the very front section then a raised platform about two thirds back and I was the forth row back on the right hand side.

Nobody too annoying around me, nobody blocking my view. To me being down the front would have been kind of a let down, I saw EVERYTHING. What was good is the seating didn't collapse this time and I would actually get to experience a concert! (se previous post for more details of that!)  Please note: I did not record this show, I just attended!!!

We didn't get the whole 'Dark Side Of The Moon' but I wasn't too disappointed, the other shows when they did they missed some of the tracks I really like. (They seemed to play alternate shows one night they did, the next they did not. Had I have known this I would have brought a ticket to both, I was at university at the time so I didn't have the money to go to more than one just for the heck of it.)

Now some folks will be out there saying things like - with the light show and all the sound effects there is no room for improvisation whats the point? Listen to this show and you will see, there is a great deal of improvisation on this night.

The quality is very good, but pops and cut outs during my two favorite tracks was a let down, pretty much every one of these Earl's Court shows was recorded and this is my first one so I am going to look further, if those blips were not there or even in different tracks it would be a total keeper.

Highlights (includes some perspectives from the show itself):

On The Turning Away: Awesome, again some improv here. crowd loved it, so did I, then and now!

Poles Apart: Great version, some improvisation, one my favorite songs from the last album.

Take It Back: Good spirited version, some extension of the end atmospherics.

Sorrow: Damn it! the last 4 minutes or so is plagued by a series of small pops, not sure what the deal is but it is annoying as hell, this is otherwise an amazing, 11 minutes plus, version.  Curse those pops!!! The start and end to the track are mind shattering, Dave knows exactly how long to hold each note and how long to pause before the next series. The bass just goes right through you, it gets a hold of you and the sound in the arena was amazing, oh and the lasers!

One Of These Days: Crowd goes crazy at the dancing pigs but you can't fault that and it is not obtrusive at all. Another great version, the middle section is extended as they liked to do on the last tour then it just goes crazy. The 15 minute break after that I don't even remember!

Great Gig In The Sky: Hard one to pull off the wailing but all three background singers do a good job on this one, some real mellow sax work too. Nice

Us & Them: Single pop, great sax work in this version, also a drop out.

Money: The start has extended effects including some odd ones thrown in there. They last over a minute. This is my only show from this venue on this tour so I am not sure if they started doing that. You got your typical funky guitar solo section with a lot of nice bass work.

Comfortably Numb: A pop and a drop out once again leave me cursing. This version is over 10 and a half minutes (the track listing says 11:16 but includes Dave saying goodnight.) and is an amazing solo, I never want this song to end, I could listen to that solo lasting for hours and wouldn't get bored! The 'blooming' glitter ball that opens halfway in the middle then all the way towards the end, bathing the whole arena in light it honestly game me a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Hey You: Has a single distortion during the quiet section but is fine.

Run Like Hell: Lots pops at the end and not the explosions! The explosion was too loud for the recording and the end is all distorted, but just the very end. I can deal with that. The ending was awesome when the stage, more or less, exploded. I had to catch the last train home so I left my seat a few seconds before, just down a few stairs into the aisle. I turned round for the big event so nobody was around me, just amazing. Then when the last light faded away I was running out the door. I did catch the last train but if I hadn't have left before the bulk of the crowd I would have missed it for sure. No way I was going to miss a second of the show though!

Awesome night! This is definitely worth grabbing if you get the chance, I will see how it stacks up against the other night of the is show. A really great performance from the band such a shame about the recording problems.

-------------------------------

Original Info…

Pink Floyd
Complete Earls Court Volume 6
#ROIO Records (#ROIO CDR-017-VI)

Earls Court Exhibition Hall
London, England
17 October 1994


Disc 1:

1. Astronomy Domine
2. Learning to Fly
3. What Do You Want from Me
4. On the Turning Away
5. Poles Apart
6. Take It Back
7. Sorrow
8. Keep Talking
9. One of these Days


Disc 2:

1. Shine On You Crazy Diamond
2. Breathe
3. Time > Breathe (reprise)
4. High Hopes
5. The Great Gig in the Sky
6. Wish You Were Here
7. Us and Them
8. Money
9. Another Brick in the Wall
10. Comfortably Numb


Disc 3:

1. Hey You
2. Run Like Hell

No comments:

Post a Comment